- Warsaw, Poland 2007
- Site Area: 7.8 acres | Total Building Area: 186,000 sq m.
Having never fully recovered from World War II destruction, Warsaw has a disconnected urban core marked by the soaring Palace of Culture and Science and large, lifeless voids. So ING Real Estate asked The Jerde Partnership to create a mixed-use project that would bring life back to the city center. Inspired by the historic parks that were saved from wartime destruction, Jerde organized Zlote Tarasy around an ensemble of terraces and a central plaza with an undulating glass roof that recalls tree canopies crowning the city's parks. The innovative roof simulates a draping cloth to translate the natural processes of gravity, wind and water into a complex, yet elegant, spatial surface above the plaza. The terraced retail and entertainment levels rise into upper-level office towers,while culminating below in a lively park built just below-grade, making it easily accessible from the adjacent Warszawa Centralna train station and existing pedestrian tunnels. To reconnect the urban fabric, Jerde designed Zlote Tarasy with a pedestrian network that links the train station with the historic city center, as well as additional entrances that restore the urban grid lost during the war. When it opened in February 2007, Zlote Tarasy attracted over 500,000 visitors in the first week.
- 2010Finalist, 2010 Awards of Excellence: Europe, Middle East, AfricaUrban Land Institute
- 2009Finalist, Best Shopping Centre of The Year AwardICSC International Design & Development Awards
- 2008Innovative Design and Development of a New ProjectICSC International Design and Development Awards
- 2008Winner, New Developments: LargeICSC European Shopping Centre Awards
- 2008Retail Destination of the YearWorld Retail Awards 08
- 2007Commendation, Shopping Centres CategoryMAPIC Awards
- 2007European Award for Steel StructuresEuropean Convention for Constructional Steelwork
- 2006Winner, Retail and Leisure CategoryArchitectural Review / MIPIM Future Project Award
- 2005Best Large Retail DevelopmentMAPIC/Plaza Retail Future Projects Awards
- 2005Best of ShowMAPIC/Plaza Retail Future Projects Awards